Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Stepney

Stepney.-- par. and ry. sta. (on Great Eastern Ry.), Middlesex, in E. of London and in parl. bor. of Tower Hamlets, 832 ac., pop. 132,393; comprises the townships of Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, and Ratcliff; prior to 1669 it also included Limehouse, Shadwell, St George in the East, Spitalfields, Bethual Green, Bow, and Poplar.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish and railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Stepney AP/CP       Stepney CP       Middlesex AncC
Place: Stepney

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.