Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Vauxhall

Vauxhall.-- eccl. dist. and ry. sta., Lambeth par., Surrey, on river Thames, pop. 10,447; the sta. is, 1¼ mile SW. of Waterloo sta., London; Vauxhall Bridge, leading across the Thames to Pimlico, was constructed in 1811-1816; the long-famous Vauxhall Gardens (now built over) were formed in 1615 by the Vauxes, and closed in 1859.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "ecclesiastical district and railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Lambeth St Mary CP/AP/Vest       Surrey AncC
Place: Vauxhall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.