Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LITTLEBOURN

LITTLEBOURN, a village and a parish in Bridge district, Kent. The village stands on a branch of the river Stour, adjacent to Lee Priory, 1½ mile NNE of Beakesbourn r. station, and 4 E of Canterbury; consists of a main street and a cross one; and has a post0ffice under Sandwich, and a fair on 5 July. The parish comprises 2,102 acres. Real property, £5,022. Pop., 757. Houses, 165. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the abbey of St. Augustine, and to an Italian monastery. Ellbridge House is the seat of D. Denne, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £240. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is early English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains monuments of the Dennes. There is a parochial school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Littlebourne CP/AP       Bridge PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place: Littlebourne

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.