Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HOLLOWAY

HOLLOWAY, a metropolitan suburb and nine chapelries, in Islington parish, Middlesex. The suburb lies along the Great North road, in the hollow S of Highgate, on the Tottenham and Hampstead railway, adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 3¾ miles NNW of St. Paul's; has stations on the railways, and post offices ‡ under London N; comprises two parts, Lower H. on the S, Upper H. on the N, jointly about 11/2 mile long; and consists largely of ranges of handsome houses, many of them villas or detached buildings, with gardens in front. The city prison is here; was built, in 1851, under the direction of Mr. Bunning, the city architect; has six wings, radiating from a central tower; is surrounded by a wall 18 feet high, enclosing about 10 acres; and possesses capacity for 436 prisoners. Waterworks, gas works, a dispensary, the smallpox hospital, and the Whittington alms houses also are here. A public house, called the Mother Redcap, noticed in "Drunkard Barnaby's Itinerary, " is at Upper H.-The six chapelries are St. John, Upper H., constituted in 1830; St. James, Lower H., in 1839; St. Mark, Tollington Park, in 1854; St. Luke, Camden road, in 1861; St. Mary, Hornsey Rise, in 1862; St. Barnabas, in 1866; St. George and St. Anne, in 1867; and the chapel of ease, in 1811. Pop. of St. John, 6, 286; of St. James, 4, 313; of St. Mark, 1,873; of St. Luke, 3, 500; of St. Mary, 2, 000; of St. Barnabas, 8, 000; of St. George, 1, 400. Six of the livings are vicarages, and the others p. curacies, in the diocese of London. Value of St. John, £600; of St. James, £800; of St. Mark and St. George, each £400; of St. Luke, £500; of St. Mary, £375; of St. Barnabas, £350; of the chapel of ease, £550. Patrons of St. John, St. Luke, St. Mary, St. Barnabas, and St. George, TrusIslington; of St. Mark, the Vicar of St. John. St. John's church was built after designs by Barry; St. James's, in 1850; St. Mark's, in 1854; St. Luke's, in 1861, at a cost of £8, 000; St. Barnabas, in 1866, at a cost of 6, 000; St. George's, in 1867, at a cost of £5, 500; the chapel of ease, in 1811, at a cost of £30, 000. Another church was built in 1868-9; and two more were founded in 1869. An Independent chapel was built in 1867, at a cost of £6, 000; a Wesleyan chapel, in 1866; a NewMethodist chapel, in 1867; and there are several other dissenting chapels. A Roman Catholic chapel was founded in Aug. 1869, to cost £7, 000. The Islington new workhouse was built at Upper H. in 1869, at a cost of £63, 300. Part of the Alexandra Orphanage, at Hornsey-Rise, was completed in 1869; and the entire hospital was designed to be a quadrangle of cottages for 400 infant orphans.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a metropolitan suburb and nine chapelries"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Islington CP/AP/Vest       Middlesex AncC
Place: Holloway

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.