Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HENDON

HENDON, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Middlesex. The village stands near Watlingstreet and the river Brent, and near Finchley and Hendon r. station, 3 miles NNW of Hampstead; was known at Domesday as Handone; and has a post office under London NW. The parish contains also the village of MillHill, and the hamlets of Golders-Green, Brent-Street, Page-Street, Hendon-Hyde, Church-End, Gutteredge, and Burroughs. Acres, 8, 250. Real property, £34, 435.Pop. in 1851, 3, 333; in 1861, 4, 544. The increase of pop. arose partly from the extension of building. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Westminster Abbey; and passed to the Herberts, the Nicolls, the Garricks, and others. A palace of the abbots of Westminster stood here; and was succeeded by a banqueting house of Queen Elizabeth, now the seat of Lord Tenterden. There are many handsome villas; and a new bridge was recently erected over the Brent. Lord William Russel, William Wilberforce, and Norden the antiquary, were residents. There is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £1, 280.* Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church is of different dates, but chiefly of the 14th century; consists of nave, aisles, and double chancel, with embattled tower; contains an early Norman font, a brass of 1510, and monuments of Bishop Fowler, the Rawlinsons, the Whichcotes, the Colmores, the Herberts, and others; and stands on high ground, figuring conspicuously over an extensive landscape. Both the church and the churchyard are picturesque. The chapelries of Mill-Hill and Childs-Hill are separate benefices. An Independent chapel at Hendon was built in 1855, and is ornamental and conspicuous; and there are another Independent chapel and a Wesleyan one. National schools are at ChurchEnd, Childs-Hill, and Mill-Hill; a large school, built at a cost of about £6, 000, at Red-Hill; and a Protestant Dissenters' grammar school, at Mill-Hill. Charities, £116. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.—The district comprehends also the sub-district of Harrow, containing the parishes of Harrow-on-the-Hill and Pinner; the sub-district of Edgware, containing the parishes of Edgware, Kingsbury, Great-Stanmore and LittleStanmore; and the sub-district of Willesden, containing the parish of Willesden, and till 1862 the extra-parochial tract of Twyford-Abbey, this extra-par. tract, with a pop. of about 18, having then been transferred to Brentford. Acres of the district, 33, 067. Poor rates in 1863, £15, 220. Pop. in 1851, 15, 916; in 1861, 19, 238. Houses, 3, 393. Marriages in 1862, 101; births, 633, - of which 22 were illegitimate; deaths, 380, -of which 145 were at ages under 5 years, and 10 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 765; births, 4, 905; deaths, 3, 105. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 6, 532 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 680 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 400 s.; 4 of Wesleyans, with 621 s.; 1 undefined, with 24 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 50 s. The schools were 24 public day schools, with 2, 174 scholars; 31 private day schools, with 651 s.; 18 Sunday schools, with 1, 422 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 23 s. The workhouse stands at Red-Hill, in Hendon parish, and is a handsome building.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hendon CP/AP       Hendon SubD       Hendon PLU/RegD       Middlesex AncC
Place names: HANDONE     |     HENDON
Place: Hendon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.