Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EATON (Long)

EATON (Long), a township-chapelry in Sawley parish, Derby; at the verge of the county, on the Erewash river and canal, and on the Erewash Valley railway, 8 miles SW by W of Nottingham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Nottingham. Real property, £6, 827; of which £100 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 933; in 1861, 1, 551. Houses, 336. The increase of population arose from the erection of steam factories, and the facilities of railway communication. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is old; and there are three dissenting chapels.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Long Eaton Tn/CP       Sawley AP       Derbyshire AncC
Place names: EATON     |     EATON LONG     |     LONG EATON
Place: Long Eaton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.