Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BELGRAVE

BELGRAVE, a township and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester. The township lies on the river Soar, the Fossé way, and the Midland railway, 1½ mile NNE of Leicester; and has a post office under Leicester. It gives the title of Viscount to the Marquis of Westminster. Real property, £9,333. Pop., 1,510. Houses, 341. The parish includes also the township of South Thurmaston and the chapelry of Birstall. Acres, 3,450. Real property, with North Thurmaston, £18,943. Pop., 2,808. Houses, 625. Belgrave House and a half-share of the manor belong to Isaac Harrison, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Birstall, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £146.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is later English, but has a Norman door; and contains monuments and a curious font. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, town-lands worth £90 a year, and other charities £36.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Belgrave Tn/AP/CP       Barrow upon Soar PLU/RegD       Leicestershire AncC
Place: Belgrave

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.