Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SWADLINCOTE

SWADLINCOTE, a township and a chapelry in Church-Gresley parish, Derby. The township lies on the Burton and Leicester railway, 4 miles SE of Burton-upon-Trent; contains collieries and pottery-works; and has a post-office‡ under Burton-upon-Trent, a r. station, a town hall, a church, a Wesleyan chapel, and a Saturday-evening market. Acres, 550. Pop., 1,076. Houses, 201.—The chapelry was constituted in 1849. Pop., 1,553. Houses, 295. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £157. Patron, the Incumbent of Church-Gresley.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Church Gresley AP/CP       Swadlincote Tn/CP       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Swadlincote

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.