Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STOCKWELL

STOCKWELL, a chapelry in Lambeth parish, Surrey; on the Metropolitan Extension railway, between Camberwell and Clapham, 3 miles SSW of St. Paul's, London. It forms a suburb to the metropolis; and has post-offices‡ under London SW, and two r. stations. Pop. in 1861, 7,265. Houses, 1,217. The manor belonged to the Crown; and passed to the Earls of Devon, the Chutes, and the Thorneycrofts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £400. Patron, the Incumbent of Kennington-St. Mark. The church was built in 1840. There are two other churches, in the patronage of trustees. There are also three dissenting chapels, a proprietory grammar-school, national schools, and a British school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Lambeth St Mary CP/AP/Vest       Surrey AncC
Place: Stockwell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.