Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SHEEPY-MAGNA

SHEEPY-MAGNA, a village and a parish in the district of Atherstone and county of Leicester. The village stands 3 miles N E by N of Atherstone r. station; and has a post-office, of the name of Sheepy, under Atherstone. The parish includes Ratcliffe-Culey chapelry, and comprises 2, 820 acres. Real property, £5, 794. Pop., 647. Houses, 154. The property is subdivided. S. Hall is the seat ofLowe, Esq.; and Pinwell, of J. Wood, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with Ratcliffe-Culey and Sheepy-Parva, in the diocese of Peter-borough. Value, £1,040. Patron, the Rev. T. Fell. The church is partly Norman. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £25.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Sheepy CP       Sheepy Magna AP/CP       Leicestershire AncC
Place names: SHEEPY     |     SHEEPY MAGNA
Place: Sheepy Magna

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.