Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for POTTERS-BAR

POTTERS-BAR, a village and a chapelry in South Mimms parish, Middlesex. The village stands near the Great Northern railway, and near the boundary with Herts, 1 mile S E of a r. station of its ownname, and 3 N N E of Barnet; and has a post-office‡under Barnet. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Gannick-Corner and Bentley-Heath, and was constituted in 1835. Pop., 959. Houses, 196. Wrotham Park is the seat of the Earl of Strafford. Salisbury House is a boarding-school for young gentlemen. There are several good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £170.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was built in 1835; is in the Norman style; and contains a fine monument to G. by ng, Esq., and a tablet by Westmacott to Lady Agnes by ng. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and an infant school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: South Mimms CP/AP       Middlesex AncC
Place: Potters Bar

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.