Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PINNER

PINNER, a village and a parish in Hendon district, Middlesex. The village stands on high ground, near an affluent of the river Colne, and near the Northwestern railway, 2½ miles N W of Harrow; was once a market-town; and has a post-office‡ under Watford, and a station on the railway . The parish contains also West-End, East-End, Hatch-End, and Woodridings; and was formerly a part of Harrow parish. Acres, 3, 720. Real property, £11,099. Pop. in 1851, 1, 310; in 1861, 1,849. Houses, 337. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of a number of villas, and from the establishment of the Commercial Travellers' school. Pop. in 1868, about2,000. The property is much subdivided. Pinner Placewas the seat of Gov. Holwell, who was shut up in the Black Hole of Calcutta, but survived. There are numerous good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £88.* Patron, the Vicar of Harrow. The church was built in 1321, chiefly of flint; and is good. A temporary church in Woodridings was erected in 1865. The Commercial Travellers' school wasopened in 1855, by the late Prince Consort; is a splendid pile; and educates, clothes, and maintains about 120boys and 70 girls; and was enlarged in 1868, in order toaccommodate a larger number. There are also a national school, a parish hall, a young men's reading society.alms-houses for widows of clergymen and of navy and army officers, and other charities £57.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Pinner CP/Ch       Hendon PLU/RegD       Middlesex AncC
Place: Pinner

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.