Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NORTHAW, or Northall

NORTHAW, or Northall, a village and a parish in Hatfield district, Herts. The village stands on a hill adjacent to the boundary with Middlesex, 2¼ miles E by N of Potters-Bar r. station, and 4½ N E by N of Barnet; is a neat place; and has a post-office under Barnet. The parish contains also the hamlet of Cuffley. Acres, 3, 180. Real property, £5, 104. Pop., 551. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The manor is held by the trustees of the late Rev. J. A. Trenchard. The Hook is the seat of N. B. Acworth, Esq.; Northaw Place, of E. L. Morgan, Esq.; the Grove, ofW. Rowden, Esq.; Nyn Lodge, ofW. Faber, Esq.; and Upper Barvin, of J. T. Pascoe, Esq. A mineral spring is at Cuffley; and another mineral spring was on Northaw Common, now enclosed, but has been choked up. The living is a donative in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £140.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late Rev. J. A. Trenchard. The church is cruciform, of pointed architecture, in good condition; and has an embattled tower rebuilt in 1810, a handsome W porch, and a painted chancel-window. There are national schools, built in 1850, and charities £73.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Northaw Ch/CP       Hertfordshire AncC
Place names: NORTHALL     |     NORTHAW     |     NORTHAW OR NORTHALL
Place: Northaw

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.