Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEW CROSS

NEW CROSS, a hamlet in Deptford, St. Paul parish, Kent and Surrey; at the mutual boundary of the counties, and on the Southeastern and the London and Brighton railways, ½ a mile S W of Deptford, and 4 S Eby S of London bridge. It has stations with telegraphon the railways, and a post-office, † under Deptford, London S E. The Royal naval school, for giving a good and inexpensive education to naval cadets, is here; was founded in 1845, under the patronage of Queen Adelaide; and is a red brick building, after a design copied fromone of SirWren. The railway towards Sydenhamrises from the New Cross station with an incline of 1 in 100; and passes through a cutting in blue clay, of amaximum depth of 80 feet. Landslips occurred in thiscutting, in the winter of 1841-2, so extensive as to require incessant labour during 3 months to remove them, and to involve a cost of more than £90,000 for theirremoval.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Canterbury St Paul AP/CP       Kent AncC       Surrey AncC
Place: New Cross

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.