Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MAXSTOKE

MAXSTOKE, a parish, with a village, in Meriden district, Warwick; on the river Blythe, adjacent to the Hampton and Whitacre link of the Midland railway, 2¾ miles SE of Coleshill. Post town, Coleshill, under Birmingham. Acres, 2,701. Real property, £3,791. Pop., 322. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. The manor of the Castle belongs to F. Dilke, Esq.; and that of the Priory belongs to Lord Leigh. Maxstoke Castle was built, in the time of Edward III., by William, Earl of Huntingdon; has a quadrangular form, with a hexagonal embattled tower at each angle; is surrounded by a moat; continues to be in good repair; forms an interesting specimen of the architecture of its period; belonged to successively the Staffords, the Comptons, and the Egertons; and is now the residence ofF. Dilke, Esq. An Augustinian priory was founded near the churchyard,about the same time as the castle, by William, Earl of Huntingdon; stood on a spot now occupied by a farmhouse; and is still represented by ruins of a fine gateway, and by the tower of the church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. * Patron, Lord Leigh. The church is tolerable. There are an endowed national school with £30 a year, and charities ££5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Maxstoke CP/AP       Meriden PLU/RegD       Warwickshire AncC
Place: Maxstoke

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.