Place:


Anstey  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Anstey like this:

ANSTEY, a chapelry in Thurcaston parish, Leicester; on a branch of the river Soar, near Swannington railway, 4 miles NW of Leicester. It has a post office under Leicester. Acres, about 1,400. Real property, £3,144. Pop., 734. Houses, 174. The manor belonged to Ulverscroft Abbey; and went to the Greys of Groby. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Peterborough. Value, £150. The church was recently rebuilt, but retains an ancient tower. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £41.

Anstey through time

Anstey is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Anstey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Anstey, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10565

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Anstey ".