Place:


Neville Holt  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Neville Holt like this:

HOLT, or NEVILL-HOLT, a township-chapelry in Medbourne parish, Leicester; near the river Welland, and the boundaries with Northampton and Rutland, 2 miles NNE of Medbourne Bridge r. station, and 7½ NNE of Market-Harborough. Post town, Medbourne, under Market-Harborough. Acres, 1, 300. Real property, £2, 397. ...


Pop., 33. Houses, 9. The manor belongs to Cosmo Nevill, Esq. Holt Hall, a large castellated mansion, on a bold eminence with fine views, is the seat of B. Thornton, Esq. Extensive blast furnaces were erected in 1864, for working recently discovered iron ore. There is a mineral spring, which, till a recent period, was in high repute for glandular complaints. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Medbourne, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church stands close to Holt Hall; consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with embattled tower and lofty spire; and contains some good monuments.

Neville Holt through time

Neville Holt is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Neville Holt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Neville Holt, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10866

Date accessed: 19th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Neville Holt ".