Place:


Shenton  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shenton like this:

SHENTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Market-Bosworth parish, Leicester; 5½ miles ENE of Atherstone r. station. It has a post-office under Nuneaton, and comprises 1,483 acres. Real property, £2,444. Pop., 206. Houses, 42. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to Major F. Wollaston. The living is annexed to Market-Bosworth. The church was rebuilt in 1862; and is in the decorated English style, and cruciform. Charities, £5.

Shenton through time

Shenton is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shenton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shenton, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11274

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shenton ".