Place:


Syston  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Syston like this:

SYSTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicestershire. The village stands at a forking of the Midland railway system, near the river Wreak, 5 miles NNE of Leicester; carries on frame-work-knitting and some malting; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office under Leicester.—The parish comprises 1,380 acres. ...


Real property, £7,023. Pop., 1,656. Houses, 367. The property is much sub-divided. Gypsum is found, and formerly was much worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £115. Patron, the University of Oxford. The church is large and good. There are three dissenting chapels, a grammar-school, a national school, and charities £27.—The sub-district contains six parishes and a part. Acres, 10,860. Pop., 4,749. Houses, 1,072.

Syston through time

Syston is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Syston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Syston, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11319

Date accessed: 16th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Syston ".