Place:


Thurcaston  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurcaston like this:

THURCASTON, a township and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicestershire. The township lies 3½ miles W by S of Syston r. station, and 4¼ N by W of Leicester. Real property, £2,194. Pop., 248. Houses, 57. The parish contains also Cropston township and Anstey chapelry, and comprises 2,960 acres. ...


Post town, Rothley, under Loughborough. Pop., 1,095. Houses, 258. T. manor belongs to the Earl of Lanesborough; and Anstey manor, to the Earl of Stamford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £620.* Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is good. The p. curacy of Anstey, formerly annexed to T., has become a separate rectory. There are an endowed school with £26 a year, and charities £52. Bishop Latimer was a native.

Thurcaston through time

Thurcaston is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thurcaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurcaston, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11342

Date accessed: 16th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thurcaston ".