Place:


Appledore  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Appledore like this:

APPLEDORE, a village and a parish in Tenterden district, Kent. The village stands on the Military canal, on a branch of the river Rother, on the W border of Romney marsh, 1½ mile W of a station of its own name on the Ashford and Hastings railway, and 6 ESE of Ten terden. It has a post office‡ under Staplehurst; and it formerly had a weekly market, and still has a fair on the 4th Monday in June. ...


It once was a seaport, on the quondam estuary of the Rother; and it was assailed by the Danes in the time of King Alfred, and by the French in 1380. The parish comprises 3,001 acres. Real property, £6,184. Pop. 640. Houses, 132. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land is rich meadowy pasture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; and includes the curacy of Ebony. Value, £200.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church has a singular projection from the N side of the nave, and is a strange mixture of Norman, early English, and decorated; but has been greatly altered, and is in good condition.

Appledore through time

Appledore is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Appledore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appledore, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2025

Date accessed: 19th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Appledore".