Place:


Holloway  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holloway like this:

HOLLOWAY, a metropolitan suburb and nine chapelries, in Islington parish, Middlesex. The suburb lies along the Great North road, in the hollow S of Highgate, on the Tottenham and Hampstead railway, adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 3¾ miles NNW of St. Paul's; has stations on the railways, and post offices ‡ under London N; comprises two parts, Lower H. ...


on the S, Upper H. on the N, jointly about 11/2 mile long; and consists largely of ranges of handsome houses, many of them villas or detached buildings, with gardens in front. The city prison is here; was built, in 1851, under the direction of Mr. Bunning, the city architect; has six wings, radiating from a central tower; is surrounded by a wall 18 feet high, enclosing about 10 acres; and possesses capacity for 436 prisoners. Waterworks, gas works, a dispensary, the smallpox hospital, and the Whittington alms houses also are here. A public house, called the Mother Redcap, noticed in "Drunkard Barnaby's Itinerary, " is at Upper H.-The six chapelries are St. John, Upper H., constituted in 1830; St. James, Lower H., in 1839; St. Mark, Tollington Park, in 1854; St. Luke, Camden road, in 1861; St. Mary, Hornsey Rise, in 1862; St. Barnabas, in 1866; St. George and St. Anne, in 1867; and the chapel of ease, in 1811. Pop. of St. John, 6, 286; of St. James, 4, 313; of St. Mark, 1,873; of St. Luke, 3, 500; of St. Mary, 2, 000; of St. Barnabas, 8, 000; of St. George, 1, 400. Six of the livings are vicarages, and the others p. curacies, in the diocese of London. Value of St. John, £600; of St. James, £800; of St. Mark and St. George, each £400; of St. Luke, £500; of St. Mary, £375; of St. Barnabas, £350; of the chapel of ease, £550. Patrons of St. John, St. Luke, St. Mary, St. Barnabas, and St. George, TrusIslington; of St. Mark, the Vicar of St. John. St. John's church was built after designs by Barry; St. James's, in 1850; St. Mark's, in 1854; St. Luke's, in 1861, at a cost of £8, 000; St. Barnabas, in 1866, at a cost of 6, 000; St. George's, in 1867, at a cost of £5, 500; the chapel of ease, in 1811, at a cost of £30, 000. Another church was built in 1868-9; and two more were founded in 1869. An Independent chapel was built in 1867, at a cost of £6, 000; a Wesleyan chapel, in 1866; a NewMethodist chapel, in 1867; and there are several other dissenting chapels. A Roman Catholic chapel was founded in Aug. 1869, to cost £7, 000. The Islington new workhouse was built at Upper H. in 1869, at a cost of £63, 300. Part of the Alexandra Orphanage, at Hornsey-Rise, was completed in 1869; and the entire hospital was designed to be a quadrangle of cottages for 400 infant orphans.

Holloway through time

Holloway is now part of Islington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Islington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holloway itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holloway, in Islington and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20309

Date accessed: 25th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holloway ".