Place:


Tooting Graveney  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tooting Graveney like this:

TOOTING (Lower), or T.-Graveney, a parish, with a village, in Wandsworth district, Surrey; 1¼ mile WSW of Streatham r. station, and 6½ SSW of St. Pauls, London. It has a post-office‡ under London S, and a metropolitan police station. Acres, 561. Real property, £11,503. ...


Pop., 2,055. Houses, 367. The property is much subdivided. There are many elegant seats and villas, and some extensive nursery grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £600.* Patron, the Rev. J. Congreve. The church was rebuilt in 1833. There are Independent and Wesley an chapels, endowed national schools, and charities £39.

Tooting Graveney through time

Tooting Graveney is now part of Wandsworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wandsworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tooting Graveney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tooting Graveney, in Wandsworth and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21115

Date accessed: 27th November 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tooting Graveney ".