Place:


Stockwell  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stockwell like this:

STOCKWELL, a chapelry in Lambeth parish, Surrey; on the Metropolitan Extension railway, between Camberwell and Clapham, 3 miles SSW of St. Paul's, London. It forms a suburb to the metropolis; and has post-offices‡ under London SW, and two r. stations. Pop. in 1861, 7,265. Houses, 1,217. ...


The manor belonged to the Crown; and passed to the Earls of Devon, the Chutes, and the Thorneycrofts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £400. Patron, the Incumbent of Kennington-St. Mark. The church was built in 1840. There are two other churches, in the patronage of trustees. There are also three dissenting chapels, a proprietory grammar-school, national schools, and a British school.

Stockwell through time

Stockwell is now part of Lambeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lambeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stockwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stockwell, in Lambeth and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21273

Date accessed: 01st July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stockwell ".