Place:


New Cross  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described New Cross like this:

NEW CROSS, a hamlet in Deptford, St. Paul parish, Kent and Surrey; at the mutual boundary of the counties, and on the Southeastern and the London and Brighton railways, ½ a mile S W of Deptford, and 4 S Eby S of London bridge. It has stations with telegraphon the railways, and a post-office, † under Deptford, London S E. ...


The Royal naval school, for giving a good and inexpensive education to naval cadets, is here; was founded in 1845, under the patronage of Queen Adelaide; and is a red brick building, after a design copied fromone of SirWren. The railway towards Sydenhamrises from the New Cross station with an incline of 1 in 100; and passes through a cutting in blue clay, of amaximum depth of 80 feet. Landslips occurred in thiscutting, in the winter of 1841-2, so extensive as to require incessant labour during 3 months to remove them, and to involve a cost of more than £90,000 for theirremoval.

New Cross through time

New Cross is now part of Lewisham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewisham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about New Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of New Cross, in Lewisham and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21565

Date accessed: 30th June 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " New Cross ".