Place:


Winchmore Hill  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winchmore Hill like this:

WINCHMORE-HILL, a chapelry, with a village, in Edmonton parish, Middlesex; 1¾ mile SW by S of Enfield r. station, and 2½ NW of Upper Edmonton. It was constituted in 1851; and it has a post-office under London N-Pop., 1,674. Houses, 352. There are many. good residences. A branch railway to the Great Northern was begun to be formed in 1869. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £331. Patron, the Vicar of Edmonton. The church has a fine E window. There are three dissenting chapels and a suite of national schools; and the last was built in 1861, and is a very handsome structure, with a clock tower.

Winchmore Hill through time

Winchmore Hill is now part of Enfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Enfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winchmore Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winchmore Hill, in Enfield and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21688

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winchmore Hill ".