Place:


Addlestone  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Addlestone like this:

ADDLESTONE, a village and a chapelry in Chertsey parish, Surrey. The village stands 2 miles SSE of Chertsey; and has a station on the Chertsey branch of the South-western railway, and a post office under Chertsey. It contains the residence of Mrs. S.Hall; and is noted for a very large oak-tree, called the Crouch Oak, beneath which tradition asserts Wickliffe to have preached and Queen Elizabeth to have dined. The chapelry was constituted in 1838, and is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. Pop., 2,896. Houses, 535.

Addlestone through time

Addlestone is now part of Runnymede district. Click here for graphs and data of how Runnymede has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Addlestone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Addlestone, in Runnymede and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23122

Date accessed: 23rd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Addlestone ".