Place:


Portland Town  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Portland Town like this:

PORTLAND-TOWN, a metropolitan suburb and a chapelry in Marylebone parish, Middlesex. The suburblies W of Regent's park and S of the Northwestern railway, 3½ miles N W by W of St. Paul's; and has post-offices‡ under London N W. The chapelry was constituted in 1849. Pop., 9, 621. Houses, 1, 310. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £500. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was built in 1849, by Daukes; and is in the early English style.

The location is the site of the church of St. Stephen the Martyr, Portland Town, at the junction of Avenue Road and St Stephen's Close. Additional information about this locality is available for St Marylebone

Portland Town through time

Portland Town is now part of Camden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Camden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Portland Town itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portland Town, in Camden and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23887

Date accessed: 18th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Portland Town ".