Place:


Colney Hatch  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colney Hatch like this:

COLNEY-HATCH, a hamlet in Fryern-Barnet parish, Middlesex, 1¼ mile W of the Great Northern railway, and 3¼ SSE of Barnet. It has a post office under London N., and a station, jointly with Southgate, on the railway. The Middlesex county lunatic asylum here, opened in 1851, occupies fully 118 acres; is 1,883 feet long; and has accommodation for about 1, 250 patients. An artesian well at it, 330 feet deep, yields 120, 000 gallons a day.

Additional information about this locality is available for Friern Barnet

Colney Hatch through time

Colney Hatch is now part of Barnet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colney Hatch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colney Hatch, in Barnet and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24057

Date accessed: 27th June 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colney Hatch ".