Place:


Halstead  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halstead like this:

HALSTEAD, a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands 3 miles W of Shoreham r. station, and 6 NNW of Sevenoaks; and has a post office under Sevenoaks. The parish comprises 918 acres. Real property, £, 630. Pop., 323. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £200.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is partly ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle or chapel, with tower and spire; and contains a piscina. There is a free school.

Halstead through time

Halstead is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halstead, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2869

Date accessed: 22nd July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Halstead".