Place:


Barming  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barming like this:

BARMING, or Barming (East), a parish in Maidstone district, Kent; on the river Medway, 1 mile NW of East Farleigh r. station, and 2½ WSW of Maidstone. It has a post office, of the name of Barming, under Maidstone. Acres, 749. Real property, £3,170. Pop., 589. Houses, 117. The property is divided among a few. ...


Hops and fruits are richly cultivated; and Kentish rag is quarried. Roman remains have been found near the church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £598.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a neat edifice, with a cemetery embosomed in fine elms. Mark Noble, the antiquary, was rector; and Christopher Smart, the poet, was a resident.

Barming through time

Barming is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barming itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barming, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4414

Date accessed: 24th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barming".