Place:


Burham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burham like this:

BURHAM, a parish in Malling district, Kent; on the river Medway, adjacent to the Maidstone railway, near Snodland station, 4½ miles NNW of Maidstone. It has a post office under Rochester. Acres, 1,737. Real property, £3,968; of which £659 are in quarries. Pop., 775. Houses, 137. ...


The property is divided among a few. A quarry here, belonging to W. H. Benstead, Esq., forms a fine study of the lower chalk rocks, and is rich in fossils. Lime-works here send large supplies to London; and there are extensive pottery and cement works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £191. Patrons, Mary Anne Cubitt and others. The church is partly early English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £26.

Burham through time

Burham is now part of Tonbridge and Malling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tonbridge and Malling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burham, in Tonbridge and Malling and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4444

Date accessed: 19th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burham".