Place:


High Halden  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Halden like this:

HALDEN, or HIGH HALDEN, a parish in Tenterden district, Kent; on the river Tarn, 3¼ miles NNE of Tenterden, and 6 S of Pluckley r. station. Post town, Tenterden, under StaplehurST. Acres, 3, 753. Real property, £3, 522. Pop., 653. Houses, 121. The property is subdivided. Some ponds are in various parts. ...


There are manufactories of earthenware. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £450.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is very ancient; has a shingled oak spire; and was recently repaired. A free school has £25; and other charities £5.

High Halden through time

High Halden is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about High Halden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Halden, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5407

Date accessed: 19th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "High Halden".