Place:


Oxhey  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxhey like this:

OXHEY, a hamlet and a chapelry in Watford parish, Herts. The hamlet lies on the Northwestern railway, at the boundary with Middlesex, 2½ miles S by E of Watford. Pop., 733. Houses, 153. The chapelry has nodefined limits, but may be regarded as coextensive with the hamlet; and its post town is Watford. The living is a donative in the diocese of Rochester. Value, notreported. Patron, T. H. S. Estcourt, Esq.

Oxhey through time

Oxhey is now part of Watford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Watford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxhey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxhey, in Watford and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5612

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oxhey ".