Place:


Kingsbury  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingsbury like this:

KINGSBURY, a parish in Hendon district, Middlesex; on the river Brent, 2 miles NE of Sudbury r. station, and 8 NW of St. Paul's, London. It contains the hamlet of Kingsbury-Green, and part of the village of Hyde, -the latter of which has a post office under London NW; and it has itself a receiving office under Hyde. ...


Acres, 1, 765. Real property, £5, 715. Pop. in 1851, 606; in 1861, 509. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The manor was a residence of Saxon kings, and was known at Domesday as Chingesburie. Goldsmith wrote his " Animated Nature '' at a farm near Hyde. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £90. PatronS, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church is old, small, and good; includes some Roman bricks in its walls; is said to stand on the site of a Roman camp; and contains brasses of 1520.

Kingsbury through time

Kingsbury is now part of Brent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingsbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingsbury, in Brent and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/583

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingsbury ".