Luddesdown  Kent


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Luddesdown like this:

LUDDESDOWN, a parish in North Aylesford district, Kent; 1½ mile SE of Sole-Street r. station, and 5½ WSW of Rochester. It contains the hamlets of Poundgate and Henley-Street; and its Post town is Gravesend. Acres, 1,983. Real property, £2,187. Pop., 279. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. ...

The manor belonged formerly to the Montacutes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400.* Patron, J. A. Wigan, Esq. The church was mainly rebuilt, partly repaired, in 1866; is partly in the early English style, partly later English; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower. There are a free school and 4 acres of church land.

Luddesdown through time

Luddesdown is now part of Gravesham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gravesham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Luddesdown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Luddesdown, in Gravesham and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th July 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Luddesdown".