Place:


Newnham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newnham like this:

NEWNHAM, a village and a parish in Faversham district, Kent. The village stands 5 miles S W of Favers-ham r. station, and 7 S E of Sittingbourne; and has a post-office under Sittingbourne, and a fair on 29 June. The parish comprises 1, 293 acres. Real property, £2, 101. Pop., 409. Houses, 80. ...


The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to D. F. Delaune, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £280.* Patrons, the Rev. J. H. Bower and the Executors of the late E. B. Faunce, Esq. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains a handsome tablet to the Hulse family. There is an Independent parish.

Newnham through time

Newnham is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newnham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newnham, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6295

Date accessed: 09th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newnham ".