Place:


Staplehurst  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staplehurst like this:

STAPLEHURST, a village and a parish in Maidstone district, Kent. The village stands near the Southeastern railway, 9 miles SSE of Maidstone; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, a hotel, and a fair on 11 Oct. The parish comprises 5,737 acres. Real property, £8,508. Pop., 1,695. ...


Houses, 321. The property is much subdivided. S. Place is the seat of H. Hoare, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £1,200.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church was restored in 1853. There are an Independent chapel, two Baptist chapels, an endowed school with £35 a year, and charities £28.

Staplehurst through time

Staplehurst is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staplehurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staplehurst, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6411

Date accessed: 23rd April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Staplehurst".