Place:


Oxton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxton like this:

OXTON, a village and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The village stands in Sherwood forest, near Dover beck, 4¾ miles N W of Lowdham r. station, and 5. W S W of Southwell; and has a post-office under Southwell. The parish contains Robinhood's Pot, Robinhood's Hill, Holbecks, Grangefield, and Fallows; and comprises 3, 580 acres. ...


Real property, £5, 409. Pop. in 1851, 850; in 1861, 738. Houses, 175. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Oxton Hall, belongs to H. Sherbrooke, Esq. There are three barrows; and one of them, 53 feet in diameter, was opened in 1789. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Bishop of Lincoln and the Prebendary of Oxton in Southwell. The church is an old stone building., with a low tower; and was repaired in 1841. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £26 a year, six alms-houses rebuilt in 1852, and other charities £84.

Oxton through time

Oxton is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7724

Date accessed: 02nd February 2023


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oxton ".