Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WINCHMORE-HILL

WINCHMORE-HILL, a chapelry, with a village, in Edmonton parish, Middlesex; 1¾ mile SW by S of Enfield r. station, and 2½ NW of Upper Edmonton. It was constituted in 1851; and it has a post-office under London N-Pop., 1,674. Houses, 352. There are many. good residences. A branch railway to the Great Northern was begun to be formed in 1869. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £331. Patron, the Vicar of Edmonton. The church has a fine E window. There are three dissenting chapels and a suite of national schools; and the last was built in 1861, and is a very handsome structure, with a clock tower.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Edmonton All Saints CP/AP       Middlesex AncC
Place: Winchmore Hill

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.